Links
  Alma Mater:   About Life@ISB:     Carnatic Music - My Favorites:  
Other Sites/Blogs I visit:   ISB Blogs:  
Monday, June 05, 2006

Sanjay @ Bangalore Gayana Samaja

Percussive Arts Centre celebrated "Talavadhyotsav", its music concert fest last week at the Bangalore Gayana Samaja auditorium in K.R. Road, Bangalore. I came to know about the fest only on Friday and hence managed to attend Sanjay Subramanyam's vocal concert that day. Sanjay, as usual, performed really well. The kamboji raga alapana was a treat to the ears.

Need to mention about the mridangam artist Anoor Ananthakrishna Sarma. I had first heard him about 2-3 years back in an Akashwani Sangeet Sammelan concert in Delhi and was quite impressed by his control over the calculations and over the instrument as such. I could witness the same control and brilliance on seeing him play for Sanjay too. His misra nadai in the taniavartanam was just too good. Though I am no authority to comment on any artist, the one area where I feel he can still improve is playing accompaniment for songs. The more he plays for songs, the more he will be able to play along with the song without giving the audience a feeling of the main artist's singing and his mridangam accompaniment running as two separate tracks.

Here is the song list of the concert:

Vocal: Sanjay Subramanyam
Violin: H.K.Venkataram
Mridangam: Anoor Ananthakrishna Sarma
Khanjira: Guru Prasanna
Ghatam: ?

Songs:
1) varnam (manamOhana) – mOhanam – kanda ata – harikesanallUr muthiAh bhAgavatar
2) jaya jaya – nAttai – kanda chApu – purandaradAsa
3) srI lakshmI – AbhOgi – Adi – muthuswAmi dIkshitar
4) rAma ninnuvinA – sankarAbharanam – rUpaka – thyAgarAja
5) Eti janma – varAli – misra chApu – thyAgarAja
6) evari mAta – kAmbOji – Adi – thyAgarAja
7) mallAri – gambhIranAttai – kanda triputa - ?
8) jayadEva ashtapadi – sindubhairavi – Adi – jayadEva
9) karpagAmbigai – behAg - ?
10) a) petra thAi – viruttam – surutti
b) Adiya pAdathai – surutti – Adi – gOpAlakrishna bhArati
11) bhArata sAmrAjya – dEsh – Adi – mAyuram viswanAtha sAstri
12) bavamAna (mangalam) – sourAshtram – Adi – thyAgarAja

posted by Ram at 8:11 AM

5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

You seem to be knowledgeable on music so I asking you this question.

I am looking for a recording "Pearls of Purandara" by Kalavathy Avadhooth. It has the songs Satyavandhakalabhalla and Nindhakarirabeku. Orchestration was by Anoor Ananthakrishna Sarma and casettes were by Sripada Audios, JayaNagar, Bangalore. None of the shops in Bangalore have the casette. There is no phone number of Sripada. A friend who went to the place reported that it was locked.
Can you help me where I can get this casette/CD?
http://www.sruti.com/Aug02/augrack.htm

Please mail me at moralvolcano at yahoo dot com

6:22 PM  
Blogger bansuri said...

Great job! Thanks for the details of the concerts that u give here....

Can i have a help.??
Can i get the lyrics of or a link to the Mayuram Vishwanatha Shathri krithi- Bharatha samrajya sukhee-desh? I searched for it's copy a lot... And found that Sanjay Subramaniamji is one of the rear persons who renders this krithi in his concerts....

Can u get me he same,plz??

My mail id is :- genetrix13@yahoo.com

12:46 AM  
Blogger bansuri said...

Thank u so much for ur help...I got the lyrics in mail!
Anamika

10:35 PM  
Blogger Bharathi S said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Bharathi S said...

Can I get the lyrics of the song adiya padathai suruti please. My id is bharathi_s76@yahoo.com

10:28 PM  
Post a Comment

About Me
Name: Ram

View My Profile

Orkut me !!

Previous Posts
Fa-Naa .... naa .... naaa
A day in heaven
ISB Alumni Meet
Venice of India?
Found a house at last
Life these days
Looking for South Indian food in B'lore?
Some observations
First day of work post-MBA
Kaun hai woh karorpati?

Archives
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006


Carnatic music:
General links I visit:




Powered by Blogger

Thanks for visiting my blog !!!
You are in Ram's abode
 Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own.