Links
  Alma Mater:   About Life@ISB:     Carnatic Music - My Favorites:  
Other Sites/Blogs I visit:   ISB Blogs:  
Friday, May 19, 2006

Venice of India?

Thats what you would probably call Bangalore if you are present in the city just after a 10 minute downpour. Even a prolonged drizzle is enough to convert the roads in the city to waterways. The consequences? Of course, traffic jams everywhere (they would be there even without the rains), but then the auto-rickshaw drivers start charging astronomical amounts. For instance, a rick driver asked us to pay Rs. 150 for a distance that would have otherwise cost us just Rs. 15. Lack of proper infrastructure is apparent. Trees start falling after a drizzle. There was a photo in the local newspapers today of a tree falling on a car parked underneath it.

Another problem that is very apparent is the use of just the local language for displaying routes/stops on buses. Why can't the same names be written in English along with the local language? Why not when this city is supposed to be the IT capital of India?

But all said and done, the weather here is far better than most other places I have been to. Some of my friends who have been here for ages, say that the climate used to be even better some 7-8 years ago when there was a lot more green cover and lot less vehicles.

As I get more acquainted with the city day by day, I have started liking it despite all the problems. Looks like I will have to learn Kannada alphabets so that I can travel in local buses and save some money by avoiding ricks.

posted by Ram at 11:54 AM

4 Comments:
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

For a second, I thought that was a complete turn around in perception from your title.Give the city some time, I am sure you will like it even more.Cheers.

3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup i completely hate it myself! jus the fact that ppl choose to write everythin in their local language! be it banglore or southies any part of the world they do the same. no offence here but jus a very precise conclusion that i've drawn fm numerous observations! all looove to talk their local lang. no doubt but southies go waaaaaaaaay beyond heights! n it sucks esp wen u wrk w. a cosmo crowd! newez gdluck!

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ram....i have a phone interview coming up fm one of the b-schools and wld like to know if u cld share any informative websites or links to read..?

thanks

12:12 AM  
Blogger Ram said...

Sure M.

Jasmine,
You can mail me at ramsinbox@gmail.com and let me know what B-School or at least which country is the B-School in. A few of my friends gave interviews for B-Schools in the US last year and may be I can share whatever they told me about their experience with you.

Ram

12:56 AM  
Post a Comment

About Me
Name: Ram

View My Profile

Orkut me !!

Previous Posts
Found a house at last
Life these days
Looking for South Indian food in B'lore?
Some observations
First day of work post-MBA
Kaun hai woh karorpati?
Snaps from outbound activity
Sample gyaan
Alum life during orientation week
Orientation Time

Archives
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006


Carnatic music:
General links I visit:




Powered by Blogger

Thanks for visiting my blog !!!
You are in Ram's abode
 Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own.